View open opportunities and apply.
Senior Scientist - Oligonucleotide Chemistry / RNA / Gene Therapy
Brisbane, CA 94005 US
We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as a Senior Scientist, Oligonucleotide Chemistry, RNA, Gene Therapy & Delivery. This role offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external oligonucleotide chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and drug design challenges within the context of nucleic acid drug discovery projects. They will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists, biologists, pharmacologists, and pharmaceutical development scientists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes. This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment. Key Responsibilities:
- Serve as a scientific expert in oligonucleotide synthesis, develop and implement clear synthetic strategies towards chemically modified single and double stranded oligonucleotide sequences and monomers using innovative synthetic methodologies.
- Supervise and lead a group of scientists to design and complete the experiments to provide high quality oligonucleotides to support rapid advancement of RNA therapeutics candidate selection.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Coordinate and manage CRO and CMOs for external collaboration and outsourced work as needed.
- Present data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings.
- Draft, implement and serve as lead author on research published in peer reviewed journals, and present work at scientific conferences.
- PhD in synthetic organic, medicinal chemistry or nucleic acid chemistry is required.
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide or nucleoside chemistry is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 or more years’ in the biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry with experience in research and development of RNAi Therapeutics, with a proven track record, is preferred.
- Highly skilled in the multi-step synthesis, purification, and characterization of small molecules is preferred.
- Strong experience in the solid phase synthesis of oligonucleotides and/or nucleoside/nucleotide synthesis is preferred.
- Solid understanding of nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, sequence selection, and mechanism of action is preferred.
- Experience as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry is strongly preferred.
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is preferred.
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence is required.
Meet Your Recruiter
Vice President – Technical Recruiting, Skilled Labor, Accounting And Finance
Sean has over 8 years’ experience with Mattson Resources and over 20 years in executive search, technical recruiting, and staffing. With a Bachelor’s in Business Administration and a concentration in Human Resources as well as 16 years agency experience and 4 years corporate in staffing – Sean and his team can assist in all areas of search for your hiring needs. In agency search, Sean has led teams and recruiting services for Engineering, Sciences, IT, Skilled Labor, Operations, Supply Chain, Operational Excellence and more for Medical Device, Pharma, Aerospace, Automotive, Distribution, Transportation, IT Services, Software, Food & Beverage, Retail, and Consumer Products. In 2021 Sean oversaw Mattson Resources expansion and opening of a satellite office in Corona, CA.